Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Eureeka! LEDs may have bleached my coral!

Had to work for 3 days and just got home last night from Zurich.  This morning cleaned glass, cleaned skimmer, added 1 L alk and 750 ml Ca+, removed carbon and phosban (after 3 days on), cleaned teeth, adjusted flow direction on Tunze because while I was gone it splashed over the top slightly when the teeth started to clog, and finally inspected the browned coral for changes and guess what . . . drumroll please . . . the coral frag I placed in low light near the bottom of my tank is making a rapid recovery and already showing hints of yellow and red zooxanthellae returning while the original colony which is higher up is till brown and white.  SO . . . I think this plus so many others experiences with bleached corals under LEDs proves to me that LEDs put out WAY more light than is registered on the Apogee meter.  I'll try to get some pictures later today, but I'm actually excited to see such results so quickly.






No comments:

Post a Comment